2011年3月27日星期日

Gardening, antiques provide inspiration for artist

What type of art do you create?

I paint in oils in the classical realist tradition.
Describe your work:

I am primarily a still life painter, although I enjoy painting landscapes and portraits as well. My favorite subject matter to paint is a beautiful flower arrangement or flowers in a natural garden setting.
When did you start making your art?

I have been painting full-time for the past 10 years, but I have always loved to paint and draw. I studied art in college but ended up working in the health care field in our family business for 15 years before returning to art. Once all of my children were in school full-time, I was able to devote more time to my painting. To refine my skills, I have attended many workshops all over the country studying with some of the best classic artists of today. My mother, Barbara Beauchamp, also an artist has given me continual encouragement and support in my pursuit as a professional artist.
What inspires you?

My own colorful garden or a great "find" in an antique shop will often be the inspiration for a new painting. My studio is filled with many interesting brass, copper and blue and white porcelain containers, old rugs and linens that often find their way into my paintings. My love of gardening and antiques all come together in many of my still life works.
What are the challenges of creating your art?

Being a mother of three girls, it is always a challenge to find the time to paint uninterrupted. Family always comes first.
Do you make a living through your art?

Yes, I am a full-time professional artist.
Do you have a job outside of your art?

Yes, raising three children. In the past, I worked full-time in home health care, but I left the field about 10 years ago and now pursue art full time.
Who is your favorite artist?

I have so many favorite artists it is hard to name just one. Richard Schmid and David Leffel are some of the present day masters that I most admire and I also love the work of the old Dutch Masters such as Rembrandt and Vermeer.
Where in the community can your work be seen?

My work is on display at the Art Institute & Gallery in Salisbury as part of the spring show. I also am currently represented by Bishop's Stock in Snow Hill and will be participating in the annual Paint Snow Hill plein air event April 15-17. The "wet paint" sale will be held on April 17 at the old fire house. I am also a participating artist in the Spring Flowers show though Peninsula-Gallery in Lewes April 2-27, and my work will be on display in Maryland at the Oxford Community Center May 27-29 for the 27th annual Oxford Fine Arts Fair.

没有评论:

发表评论