2011年4月17日星期日

Disabled artists create paintings with foot and mouth

Physically challenged people are demonstrating their understanding of arts through a painting exhibition held in Southwest China's Chongqing Municipality. The show has proved that these artists may lack certain abilities, but are certainly not lacking in artistic sensibility.

From exquisitely portrayed buildings of China's ethnic groups in ink and wash, to lavishly decorated peony flowers with oil pigments, can you image that all of these paintings were created by physically challenged artists?

On display are more than one hundred pieces by nine painters and calligraphers from across China. All of them unfortunately lost their arms due to childhood disease or accidents.

41-year old Huang Guofu, one of the participating artist, lost both of his arms in an electric shock accident at the tender age of 4. Deciding to buffet his way against the fate, Huang started to learn painting with his feet and mouth at age 12.

Huang Guofu, Artist said "In the beginning, the items I drew did not look anything like I intended. It took time, and gradually I became better and better. Sometimes I even stayed up all night just to practice, practice, and practice."

Huang's skills have grown mature over the decades, and his painstaking efforts are given due recognition. His pictures are now sought after by dealers and art lovers around the world.

Huang Guofu said "God might have closed my door. But my window was left open, allowing me to make a living and even feel happy and content. I'd say I still appreciate what God has given me."

Huang adds that he will join his artist friends for a charity event during the upcoming May Day holiday season. He plans to create works on location. All the income from the sale of paintings will be donated to physically challenged people.

没有评论:

发表评论