2011年10月19日星期三

Ceramic designer molds hobby into career

By combining her background in fashion design with her newfound love of pottery, Marise Fransolino says she is able to create one-of-a-kind pieces of art.

Through the different lines and textures “part of me comes out,” said the Marietta, Ga., resident.

As October ends, Fransolino will join hundreds of artists from across the United States for the 16th annual Festival of the Arts in Destin at Henderson Beach State Park. The two-day show will feature paintings in oil, acrylic and watercolor, jewelry, woodcarvings, pottery, photography, fiber, sculpture and more.

While on a vacation to the Emerald Coast, Fransolino stumbled across the art show and was impressed with the class of artists and quality of their work.

“And I thought I wouldn’t mind rubbing shoulders with those people,” she said. So since 2005, she has been traveling down to Destin every year for the show.

 Among other art show awards, she received an Award of Excellence in 2006 and the Jury’s Recognition Award in 2007 at the Destin Festival of Arts. Although she has had much success as a ceramic designer, she fell into the art by accident.

“I was in a time of my life where I was looking to do something more creative, and I was in between jobs. I went to sign up for a watercolor class, but it was full and the only class available was pottery,” she said. “I fell in love and never went back.”

 Fransolino began ceramic design in 1999 at the age of 43. Although she started later in life, the Brazil-native was passionate about making pottery her career. Today, she teaches classes in wheel and hand building at several art centers in the Atlanta metropolitan area.

 Fransolino’s artwork is very diverse and uses all different types of clay from porcelain to stoneware. She typically likes to start her work on the pottery wheel and finish with alterations done by hand to give the piece a unique touch.

“I would describe my style as more contemporary and refined,” she said. “Some pottery is done very loose, but mine is tight with clean lines.”

For the festival she is planning to bring down more than 200 pieces of art including mugs, vases, lamps and serving dishes in a variety of glaze colors. Costs will range from $25 to $600.

“You really have to get into the booth to see the selection I have… There is definitely something for everybody,” Fransolino said. “I am looking forward to a great sale an great weather.”

没有评论:

发表评论