2011年10月9日星期日

Exhibition, sale showcase diverse works

Painter Andrea Briggs says the real beauty of art is the infinite possibilities it affords the artist and the beholder.

"Fifteen years ago, my husband and I were in Boca Raton, Fla., where I co-owned an art gallery with another artist," she said. "I didn't actually start painting until about 10 years ago.

"I was delighted with the diversity of the people and what they do. I've discovered there are no mistakes, only design opportunities."

A first-time exhibitor, Briggs joined six other local artists during the "Diverse Art" show and sale at the Orangeburg County Fine Arts Center's Lusty Gallery on Oct. 6 and 7. First held in 2006, the show was not staged in 2010.

Many of the artists said it is the unexpected direction some of their pieces take that holds their interest. For example, in one of her works, Jo Wyrosdick started out using one medium and ended up with another, creating texture she hadn't originally envisioned.

"I had someone ask me to do something abstract," she said. "I was encouraged to redo an earlier piece.

"This is acrylic. I don't think I would be able to do this in oil just because it takes longer to dry. In my oil paintings, I usually end up with something different than what I started."

Alice French said that evolution provides a sense of wonderment for an artist.

"Jo's painting was a great example of not having to worry about what the original plan was, or to make apologies or excuses for it even if it was not what she planned," French said. "My wine glasses were that way. I didn't envision them this way, but it turned out well."

On display at "Diverse Art" were abstract and representational acrylic and oil paintings, wood-turned items, jewelry, and painted and stained glass.

Although all of the work was available for purchase as Christmas gifts or decorative home additions, Pennie Sifly said the show is special because it is not about making money.

"I might be able to go to lunch on what I make with my art," Sifly said. "That's what is neat about this. We all have lives, and this is just a small portion of our lives. We don't do it as a livelihood.

"That's how this whole show got started. It isn't just to sell products. We want people to see it."

French's personal mantra about her art is a throwback to an old Bobby McFerrin song: "Don't worry, be happy." She said every piece she finishes is rewarding.

"We know we sometimes need to bring to the show some less-expensive pieces," French said. "We all have work that takes a lot of time, and that's where the higher price lies.

"People like to come and purchase our pieces, but are not always able to do that at a higher price."

Vicky Yandle is a cardiac rehabilitation nurse at the Regional Medical Center who has been a photographer since she was 14. Another first-time exhibitor at "Diverse Art," Yandle specializes in weddings and baby photos. She said she looks forward to growing in her chosen medium.

"I want them to see themselves how I see them," Yandle said. "The way I see them in that moment is how beautiful the brides and the babies are.

"My inspiration is what God can do. I feel like God's work is so beautiful. Looking at the sky and sunset inspires me to capture one moment of what He has given us."

Sharing their art with others is the ultimate payoff for "Diverse Art" exhibitors. French said while the cost of materials prevents her from giving away all of her work, the joy it gives others is "the bottom line."

"Nothing gives me more pleasure than to have someone say they like something I'm wearing," French said. "When I take it off and put it around their neck, it puts that spark of joy in their eyes."

At his first "Diverse Art" show in 2009, wood turner Tom Kerr found several people who were either novice turners or became interested in the craft.

"We wood turners, second to making wood chips, like to teach others how to make wood chips," Kerr said, laughing. "That's rewarding for me and a lot of fun.

没有评论:

发表评论